Dog health is a very important field in the specialty of veterinary medicine, and dog diseases and symptoms are not only important in the field of veterinary medicine, but they are also important for their danger to public health, and the possibility of their transmission to other animals or even humans, and the causes of these diseases vary from genetic or external factors, Even food – whether commercial or cottage industry – can cause some dog diseases.
Dog Diseases and their symptoms
There are many diseases that dogs suffer from, just like any organism that has living cells that are exposed to internal or external influences and cause a defect in their functions, and some of these diseases are only for dogs and some of them can be common to animals that have characteristics of mammals, and many diseases can It is transmitted to humans through infection, and among the diseases that dogs contract are viral, bacterial, fungi, and some types of parasites, some genetic and hereditary diseases, skin, eye and bone diseases, diseases of the dog’s internal organs, tumors and cancers, and this article will review some of the diseases and symptoms of dogs.
Infectious diseases in dogs have several causes such as viruses or bacteria, and most of these diseases are transmitted directly from a dog to a dog, and some of them need a vector such as ticks or mosquitoes, and dog diseases and these symptoms are a public health concern because of the possibility of transmission to humans, viral diseases are one of the most common dog diseases. Its symptoms are clear to some extent and their impact can be reduced by vaccination, and some will be mentioned briefly.
- Rabies or rabies: It is a single RNA virus, and this disease is ancient, and its mortality rate for humans and animals is on the rise, and dogs are the main animal reservoirs for this disease, and dog bites or animals such as bats, foxes and raccoons may be a cause of transmission (3 ], As for its symptoms, they begin with excitement of the central nervous system, and it is expressed by agitation and restless behavior, and animals with rabies are more dangerous in the early stage because the animal appears cute but bites at the least excitement, this disease usually begins with a short period of agitation accompanied by insomnia and nervousness, and then followed by a phase Depression and paralysis that your dog is no longer able to even bite
- Noroviruses: It is a heterogeneous virus that also infects RNA, and it is the cause of epidemic intermittent gastroenteritis in humans, and because the virus infects the digestive system, it can be identified through the dog’s feces, and among its main symptoms is diarrhea.
It is possible for bacterial diseases to be transmitted from one dog to another, but it is usually due to wound infection, and some of these diseases may be transmitted to humans through contact with the skin, urine, or soil in which the urine is present, and these are some dog diseases and their symptoms related to bacteria.
- Brucellosis: It is a highly contagious bacterial disease resulting from consuming unpasteurized milk or direct contact with secretions from infected animals . It affects dogs through sexual contact or contact with aborted fetuses. The most common symptom is abortion during the first three months and includes other symptoms Intervertebral disc and ocular inflammation represented by iritis and orchitis and prostatitis in males.
- Lyme disease: The cause of this disease is the spirochete, which is an organism that resembles H. It also usually appears in humans.
Heart disease is a dangerous condition, especially in older dogs, and the dog’s diet is changed with the help of the veterinarian so that it becomes low in sodium, but with adequate levels of protein and calories, and some regular exercise and some medications can help maintain the health of the dog. 6]. Canine diseases and their symptoms related to the heart include congestive heart failure caused by calcification of the mitral valve, which is the most common heart disease in dogs. Valve calcification leads to disturbed blood flow and increased blood pressure in the left atrium and this leads to an increase in blood pressure in the blood vessels and one of its most common symptoms Heart rate increases, heart muscle contractions, and fluid may collect in the lungs. Among the diseases of dogs and their symptoms and related to the heart as well is cardiomyopathy or heart muscle failure, which is associated with large breeds of dogs, where disturbances and tissue changes occur in the ventricle of the heart, which is completely similar to changes in the human heart and its main symptoms are arrhythmias and sudden fainting. It leads to death.
Cancerous tumors did not even have mercy on the animal world, as they cause many deaths in animals due to being aggressive and difficult to treat, and there are many diseases of dogs and their symptoms related to cancerous tumors, including:
- Canine genital tumors transmitted: They are cancerous tumors that are transmitted through sexual contact and are more common in humid and hot areas, and it is one of three types of cancer known in mammals, and its symptoms in males are tumors that appear on the male penis. In the mouth and nose, other symptoms are urinary retention and facial swelling.
- Hemangiosarcoma disease: it is an aggressive tumor that usually affects the heart, skin and tissues under it and the liver, and it spreads very quickly and this disease affects dogs exclusively, and rarely affects cats, mice, and horses, and it is considered a disease because it does not have clinical symptoms until after the tumor has grown In size and began to bleed, and the bleeding may continue until death, but some of its symptoms include loss of appetite, weight, weakness, lethargy, swollen nasal membranes, and the stomach may swell and expand due to bleeding, and sudden death.